Wednesday, September 7, 2011

I Love My Husband!

I love my husband. I really, really love my husband. I think he's a great man. I know it's not particularly cool. I know it's more "current" to complain about inadequacies. I know I'm supposed to point out how insensitive he is about something or another. That's just not my thing. I picked what I like, and I like what I picked! Some women call me lucky. There is that. But I also made a point to learn from past mistakes. I knew what I was getting...and it was good! My husband is a gift I gave to myself almost ten years ago. And he's the gift that keeps on giving.

Today is a perfect example. Today is the first day of school for our boys. Ethan started second grade and Reese started kindergarten. Pretty big stuff. They're ready. I'm prepared. And I do this thing right. Not only do both boys have all of their requested school supplies packed in their backpacks, they also have healthy snacks, fabulous lunches, and treats for their teachers (all FIVE of them)! I baked individual apples spice cakes and tied Dunkin' Donuts gift cards to each one for both of their head teachers, a special ed teacher, and two aids. They're all covered. Remember, I said my boys are a handful? This can't hurt. It was shaping up to be a good day. I knew that something was going to be wacky. Couldn't tell you what, exactly, but I was just ready for a shoe to drop. I like the saying, "Prepare for the worst and hope for the best." So, I was ready. When Reuben (my wonderful husband) got home last night he told me he was going in to work late so he can be around to help for the first day. Was I surprised? No. Was I still delighted? You bet! That emotional and physical support made the whole morning so much easier. It was still squirrely. But so manageable. Thank goodness because (here's that shoe I was waiting for) it was raining BUCKETS!!!!! That always makes for hardship, but when each boy has two bags, rain coats, rain boots, puddles up to their shins, and then you add cars full of confused and disoriented people everywhere life can get downright scary. Now, add to that the fact that I also have two bags and a basket full of goodies, which equals no hands for little dudes. Even I, the math challenged girl, know this is a formula for disaster. But with my hubby by my side it was cake. He loaded the boys in the car, took bags without questioning my sanity, and validated my decision to whip around in traffic when the perfect parking spot was on the other side of the street. He even marveled at my textbook parallel parking maneuver. It was amazing, if I do say so myself! It was nice to have a grown up around to appreciate those things today. Small victories go a long way in my life. Reuben celebrates those with me.

We got back to the house and paused just a second to congratulate ourselves on a morning well done. I thanked him for all his help and gave him a smooch. Reuben grabbed his lunch, and a bag of trash on his way out the door. We promised to chat later. Yes, we actually have to schedule that, but that helps make it happen. Then I spied on him as he carved out a temporary drainage ditch for the rain. The deluge had resulted in a bit of a pond beside our driveway. That's my engineer! As he drove away I giggled at the waterfall that gushed from the tailgate of his truck. That's a freakin' lot of rain!!! I'm so grateful I had his help today.

We have done well to guard our relationship over the years. It needs more time than we have to give, but we are doing pretty darn well keeping it warm while we attend to more immediate matters. I think respect and mutual admiration take care of a lot of the holes. But, today, I wanted to take time to publicly love the man I married.

No comments:

Post a Comment